Sermon Snippets from
February 9, 2014
Let’s take a look at the human heart:
- Weight – 10 and 12 oz.
- It’s about the size of your fist.
- It beats an average of 70 times per minute, 4200 times per hour; 100,800 times per day; 36,792,000 times each year; and 2, 575,000,000 times in a seventy year life span.
- The human heart is capable of pumping enough blood this year to fill 81 tankers; enough to lift a 65 ton tanker I ft. off the ground.
- It’s amazing what medical science can do with the heart today – Stents, by-pass surgeries, heart transplants; catheterizations; and even artificial hearts.
But there are some problems with the heart that medical science can’t fix. Heart disease remains the #1 killer of men and women today. In 2008, over 600,000 people died from some form of heart disease and hundreds of thousands more survived life-threatening issues with the heart.
But we’re not here to conduct a seminar on the body’s heart. We’re here to look at an even more serious heart matter; that of the spiritual heart
Look at today’s verses:
Proverbs 4:23 New International Version (NIV) Above all else, guard your heart, for everything you do flows from it.
Jeremiah 17:9 New International Version (NIV) The heart is deceitful above all things and beyond cure. Who can understand it?
The word heart is found 963 times in the Bible. Numerous times there is indication that the mind, the will, the emotions are defining the heart.
- Pro. 17:22 – A merry heart doeth good like a medicine
- Pro. 23:7 – As a man thinketh in his heart, so is he.
- Ps. 51:10 – Create in me a clean heart…..
- Ps. 19:14 – Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart…..
- Mt. 12:34 – Out of the abundance of the heart…..
So whether the Bible refers to the mind, the emotions, the will, or the spirit, we must recognize that whatever we see, hear and experience in life is stored in the heart and ultimately affects every area of our lives. Think of the heart as being the birth place for all of our actions, attitudes, ambitions and articulations are conceived.
I. We are to KEEP / guard our hearts
- Dictionary “ to retain possession or control of it
- Hebrew – to Guard or Watch over it (Zech 4:6, Gal 5:16– It speaks of, careful diligence and protecting the heart
Example – to keep it as secure as Fort Knox in Louisville, Ky, home to much of the nations gold reserve. Our nations gold reserve is housed in a two story building constructed of granite, steel, and concrete. It is 105 ft by 121 ft, and is 42 ft above ground level. Within this building is a two level steel and concrete vault that is divided into compartments. The vault door weighs more than 20 tons. Various members of the staff must dial separate combinations known only to them. The vault casing is constructed of steel plates, steel I-beams and steel cylinders laced with hoop bands, and encased in concrete. The outer wall of the depository is constructed of granite lined with concrete. The building is equipped with the latest and most modern protective devices. The nearby Army Post provides additional protection. The Depository is equipped with its own emergency power plant, water system and other facilities. In the basement is a pistol range for use by the guards.
II. We are to be diligent
A. Dictionary – persistent, persevering effort.
In all kinds of circumstances. In all kinds of places. At all times. We cannot afford to neglect the heart’s protection. God doesn’t need Christians with weak and diseased hearts!!!!!
- The issues of life come from the heart
The picture here is that the heart is like a spring of water which is the source of everything affected by where the water flows. Matt. 15:1-20 Jesus simply says that it’s not what goes into a person that defiles a person but what comes out. “….those things that proceed out of the mouth come from the heart and they defile the man. For out of the heart comes evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies; THESE ARE THE THINGS that defile a man…..”
The bottom line truth is that EVERY THOUGHT, EVERY WORD, EVERY ACTION, EVERY SIN, EVERY ACT OF OBEDIENCE, EVERY NEGATIVE OR POSITIVE WORD, EVERYTHING WE DO OR SAY OR THINK PROCEEDS FROM THE HEART!!
What we think and say and do about our troubles; What we think and say and do about church; What we say and do and think about our family, our spouses, our children, our neighbors, etc., etc. These things tell us and others the condition of our hearts! As one observes the Christian community, it appears that a lot of Christians need Spiritual Heart Surgery!!!!
The following statements are from message by WADE HUGHES, A/G pastor in Smiths Grove, KY and Sectional Presbyter.
- We would never hear of child abuse, if we could correct the problems of the heart. Divorce is killing the family that we know as the foundation of the work of God and the church, we have serious heart problems.
- Our kids carry guns and drugs to school, and can’t quote the Ten Commandments — which to them are but 10 Suggestions for the Old Crowd, —a heart problem?
- Can an ex-president can have sex in the Oval Office and his popularity go up 10 points, —a heart problem?
- A Senator announces he is homosexual, and when he returns to his home state they have a party for him — a heart problem.
- Our teens are dying of aids, and we abort 4,000 babies a day, — we have a serious heart problem
- More is spent on dog/cat food in the USA than given to missions, —we have a heart problem
- TV Pastors, (how can a TV personality be your pastor), cry for ever bigger offerings, turn the gifts into freak shows, claim millions a week won to the Lord, (in two years if their records are correct we would be a total Christian community), teach that God wants you in a new car and airplane, and if you send them money you and your home will be debt free, borrow an offering and send it in, they will even take major credit cards? — sick hearts?
If you put the translations and meanings together it could read like this: “Guard and protect your innermost being above all kinds of guarding because out of your heart flow the sources and motivations of your life.”
Have we been to our spiritual cardiologist specialist lately for a good, thorough check up? Are we in need of a heart transplant or do we simply need to correct and change a few things and head off the onset of spiritual heart disease?